Friday, January 27, 2012

Charleston ~ a little getaway

If you're a long time reader of this blog you might have noticed we Carrs have a little family tradition.  Before or after a long separation {or like this year, before AND after....see the Asheville posts from April 2011} we make it a priority to go on a little family getaway.  Nothing super long or extravagant.  But someplace where we can go and just {re}connect as a family.  This time we decided to drive down to Charleston, SC.  Kayla and I had actually visited the city before but this was the first time for the boys.  As soon as I got the green light I was on a mission to find the perfect accommodations.  I like to look outside of the box in this department.  Since we have two little ones who nap / rest and are in bed by 7:30 staying in your average hotel room just doesn't work for us.  These days Gavin is the worst eater at dinner time and going to a restaurant for that meal is a nightmare so having the option of cooking dinner is a major prerequisite.  Since we end up spending a fair amount of time with the napping, dinners, and early bedtimes where we're staying; finding somewhere that's relaxing and pleasant to be in is at the top of the list.  When we just had Kayla the Marriott's Residence Inn was the perfect fit.  But now with two we need a bit more room and all around 'funner' atmosphere.  Hence, the cabin in Asheville and now Cottage on the harbor in Charleston.


We had a huge screened in back porch that opened up to an amazing view.



It made for some very relaxing nap times, that's for sure!


Helping daddy with our pancake breakfast.



Exploring just beyond our back steps!






































































Bath time in the HUGE master bath!



Hanging out on the porch



and checking out the local wildlife :)



















As I mentioned above, Kayla and I had visited Charleston before.  Back in March '09 we drove down while Garrett was in the field to visit our friends the Borkowskis.  So of course we had to stop by!  I just love this photo because I have the exact same one of these two from our previous trip.  Too cute!


Our friends suggested we check out White Point Gardens and it ended up being the perfect outing on the morning we left.  It's down at the very tip of the Downtown Charleston peninsula and it was a beautiful morning!  It was also pretty close to a great little English style pub we had been eyeing for lunch, yum!









Charleston is such a neat town!  SOOO much history and beauty, it's definitely going to be favorite getaway destination for us!

No comments: