Monday, November 28, 2011

San Diego ~ Balboa Park / last minute photos

OH MAN!  Where did the time go since my last post?  Oh yeah, we all had the stomach flu, then I got completely caught up in reading the entire Hunger Games trilogy, Thanksgiving, preschool activities, house cleaning, LIFE!  So now I'm going to have to play the catch up game, starting with the final post of San Diego photos.

For the past several visits back home I really wanted to spend a day in beautiful Balboa Park but it just never happened so on this trip I made it a priority.  Balboa Park is the hub for 'Arts and Culture' with several theaters, gardens, museums {15!} restaurants, parks, and the list goes on.  And the stunning architecture is just icing on the cake!  We went on a Tuesday when various museums are free admission so the park was pretty crowded.


This outing was the perfect opportunity to meet up with an old friend, Maegan.  We went to church together in Hawaii and over the years have been able to reconnect from time to time, 1. because they're {Maegan and Charles} a military family as well and we're all always on the move, and 2. Maegan is also originally from San Diego!  Small world, huh.
   


Our first stop was the Natural History Museum.  WOW!  I actually had not been to this museum since my school field trip days!  What a blast.  They had some really neat exhibits and the kiddos all thoroughly enjoyed it.














Bubby where's his nose??


I think the favorite exhibit for the kids at this museum was the Artic Zone.




They spent a lot of time dressing up, sliding and waddling around like penguins :)



The next stop was the Model Railroad Museum.  Now this one was a childhood favorite of mine!  There's just something mesmerizing about watching all those little trains weaving through the hills and valleys and cute little towns!  Again, a big hit with the kiddos, especially Gavin who is super into cars and trains right now :)







And what would a railroad museum be without the beloved train table dotted throughout the place?


After a quick lunch and stroll/dance through the Spanish Village Art Center nap time was closing in for the little guys and it was time to call it a day. 



Before I close out posting on our trip back home there's just a few more random pics I wanted to include.

We visited with friends Kelly and Susan who are a part of what we call our Monterey Family from when Garrett was going through DLI {Defense Language Institute} there way back when.  {Kelly and her little family currently live in San Diego...gotta love that small world thing ;) }

Mrs. Susan reading to Kayla and sweet Madeline. 


Pumpkin Carving!











My mom took the kiddos on a quick outing to the old steam locomotive and freight car in downtown La Mesa (my hometown suburdb in SD).  Now this is a piece of history.  I grew up climbing all over these two cars, as did my parents, and it is actually part of the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum, La Mesa Depot.











Park Days!





Collecting for falltime crafts....











And of course a trip home would not be complete without feeding the ducks at Lake Murray :)


No comments: