WOW! What a rough week we had last week! But thank the Lord all is well again in the Carr household. Gavin sleeps once more and my sanity has returned. A brief explanation: now that I have a clear head I can look back and understand just what happened.
1. We moved to a new house
2. Garrett was in and out on a TDY
3. My mom was in and out on a visit
4. 12 month vaccinations / teething
5. We made the switch from formula to whole milk
6.Attempted to wean from bottle to sippy cup (failed miserably)
All this happened in a months time
and 7. (the worst offense of all) Because of 1-6 AND since Kayla and Gavin now share a bedroom wall; Mom was oversensitive to Gavin's little crys during nap and the night. I brook my cardinal rule and responded to him during his alone/sleep time. It started out harmless.....a little pat on the back and whisper shhhhhhh.......the return of his blankie or paci that he'd thrown out of his crib......then a quick little hug..... As parents we always have the best intentions for our little ones but sometimes our best intentions come back to bite us in the b.u.t.t! The next thing I knew Gavin was waking constantly at night, needing to be actually rocked back to sleep every time, and flat out refusing to nap. Screaming hysterically every time I put him in his crib. Until he would throw up. I couldn't understand what was going on. How did my near perfect sleeping baby transform so quickly. And then I realized in the matter of a few short weeks, it was my good intentions that undermined ALL the months I spent instilling good sleep habits for Gavin. AHHHHHHH! How could I let that happen?!? I knew it was time for some serious sleep re-training.....for both Gavin and I. We started last Friday night by temporarily relocating Kayla to the upstairs. In our new house everything is basically on the ground floor; upstairs is just a bonus room, full bath, and a bedroom (perfect for guests wink wink :). So we put Kayla in the bonus room to ensure she would still get a good nights sleep and to not tempt my urge to quiet Gavin as soon as he made a sound. Long story short, it worked! Kayla spent three nights upstairs, and really she probably could have returned back to her room after the first night but I just wanted to be extra sure Gavin was over his 'crying it out'. Once his night sleep improved his naps pretty much just fell back into place. YAY!
And now I can blog again! There is SO much to catch up on but for now I'll just share a few videos from last month.
Most of November and all of December Kayla's preschool was working on their annual Christmas Play. And, can you believe it, the day they were going to perform, their last day of school before winter break, turned out to be a snow day and school was cancelled. The play was postponed until January. I was so bummed! Kayla did a great job she was the cutest little lamb you ever did see!
Kayla is the little lamb without her ears on. I apologize for my not so super awesome video recording skills. I would get so distracted watching Kayla I'd forget to make sure she was in the viewfinder :)
Now she has her ears on....can you guess which one she is??
Yeah, that was our daughter that all most took a nose dive off the stage!
These next two videos are just us. killing time in the house. on a snow day.
I personally love the little leg lift. You must watch it again if you missed it. What you can't see in this video is Garrett and Kayla approaching from behind. He was dangling her by the ankles and as they got close she tried to lift her head and thus ramming it into my back. Just another day in the life.....
3 comments:
These videos are just precious!!!! Glad things are back to normal....for now, of course there will always be something.
Love my grandbabies!!!!
grammy karen
Oh Julie...Phew, glad you got everything back on track! Your kids are so adorable and you are WAAAAY ahead of me. Rori is STILL on the bottle and I have no intention on stopping it since that is the only way she goes to sleep at night. Ahhh, sleep. You are such a darling Mommmy! keep up the good work. one day our trips to SD will overlap and we can have a serious playdate! Xo
I thought I had it all figured out with Jake, he was a great sleeper...than I too got lazy with Colin and am still waking 2x a night! After he gains a few more lbs cry it out here I come! So happy to see your adorable family, have fun with Kassy!
Post a Comment