Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I'm a Big Girl Now! ~ Three Months Old

NO MORE DIAPERS FOR KAYLA!!  Yes we are now potty trained.  Hip Hip Hooray!  All through my pregnancy with Gavin I was hoping she would start showing the 'signs' all the books talk about of being ready for the potty.  But no such luck; and if there is anything I've learned about Kayla it's to let her cross her milestones in her own time and not push her into something she's not ready for.  So we waited and waited and wouldn't you know it, it became obvious she was ready about the time we had Gavin.  Of course I wasn't ready then and decided to wait until Garrett came home from Haiti so he could have the pleasure of also experiencing the potty training process.  At the beginning of the month Garrett had a week off from work so I thought that would be the perfect time.  We woke up on a Monday morning and first thing I made a chart with Kayla's help.  We explained to her that it was her potty chart and every time she went pee on the potty she would get a little star, and a big star for when she did her big business on the potty.  She has a passion for stickers and I knew this would be great incentive.  The idea was that she would put the stickers in the appropriate column for the day of the week, but she quickly decided that she wanted to put the stickers in a more random way.  So when you look at the chart know that the stars are what she earned during the entire week, not necessarily during that particular day.



She really did a fantastic job!  We are so proud of her.  The first couple of days were a little rocky, I don't think she was completely sold on the idea of no more diapers, but the more stars she earned the more self-confidence was built up and she just ran with it.  By the end of that first week she was totally potty trained; taking herself to the potty whenever she needed to go and rarely had an 'accident'.     


On April 10th Gavin was three months old!  He has been such a sweet little guy and has truly completed our family.  He's getting more vocal and continues to notice new things every day.  Currently he is trying SOOOOO hard to roll over (back to tummy) and I think he'll have it in just a few more days.  These are a few of his three month photos :) 






1 comment:

Angela Henderson said...

congrats, I cant wait for Finn to potty train. He is just like Kayla though, he does everything in his own due time. Any ideas for me or tips?