Thursday, January 1, 2009

More Life Lessons

Well the New Year has gotten off to a bit of a rocky start for our family. About a week ago Garrett went for an early morning run in the frosty 30 degree weather. A few days later he came down with a horrible cough and long story short, he's now on antibiotics for bronchitis. Kayla has had the sniffles so we went to the doc this morning and she has nothing more than the common cold, still though, not the most enjoyable experience for someone who can't blow their nose.

Kayla, these days, really enjoys reading all her favorite book by her self, or to others:

She also has phone conversations on an old phone we gave her.

One last life lesson Kayla learned this week is that-

'when the Momma has picked her battle, the Momma will always win'

In our kitchen there is a bottom drawer that we have let Kayla claim as her own for her bibs and the occasional small toy or book. Most days she enjoys pulling out ALL the bibs and tossing them around the kitchen floor. Usually this doesn't bother me because she has always complied when I've told her it was time to put the bibs back in the drawer. Until Monday afternoon. Her lunch was ready and waiting for her on the table, and after pulling out all the bibs, choosing one, and making her way to the table I said 'Kayla, first clean up the bibs and then lunch'. She looked at me and shook her head no! I said clean up the bibs. She threw herself on the floor and kicked her feet! I said clean up the bibs. She tossed around on the floor like a fish out of water! I said clean up the bibs and then you can have lunch.

This power struggle went on for about 20 minutes and Kayla went from crying, stamping her foot, and throwing the bibs even more to coming up to me and giving me hugs and saying hi, hi, in her sweet sweet little voice, and then back to screaming when I didn't cave. In the end she picked up her bibs and then ate lunch.

It was a huge moment for both of us. It was our first real mother-daughter stand-off. Kayla learned that Momma didn't fold or crack under the pressure and honestly I learned the same about myself.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

way to hold your ground. as an auntie i cave FAST! happy new year. . .hope everyone starts to feel and get better soon!

Kelley Parham said...

Glad you stood your ground. I had NO doubt that you could not do it. It is only the first in a LONG line of struggles. I hope that Garrett feels better soon along with Kayla. We love you all so much and miss you.
P.S. That was CJ's favorite book also! AND LOVE the picture of the snow.

Anonymous said...

That's why you are the Mom...you can't cave...Andrea, I'm with you, as Grammy I would have caved at the "hi's". Julie good for you, this is only the beginning of picking your battles.

March on
Happy New Year
Get well Garrett and Kayla

Hugs and Lovies

Yemi Ogunbase said...

Hey Julie!

I once had a 45 minute standoff with my (now) 6 year old. It was 45 minutes, broken up into 2 minute segments (for timeouts). Emotions ran the gambit, but as soon as I wanted to give in, I was like, "Oh there is NO way a 2 year old is going to beat me!"

I have learned that by having these battles and winning when the kids are younger, it's understood that you are the undisputed ruler of worlds (as far as they are concerned).

I'm glad you won!