Friday, July 18, 2008

Summer Concert in the Park

Tonight was a fun night. My mom, Bill, Kayla and I went to one of those fabulous free summer concert in the park events down in Point Loma. For you non-San Diegans, Point Loma is a nice family neighborhood surrounded by the ocean and harbor. Tonight's band was a New Orleans style Brass Blues. It was up-beat and energetic and Kayla had a great time roaming around on the open grass meeting new people and new dogs (she loves dogs).














I'd like to note how we are all dressed. You might notice we have pants and sweaters on and might think 'hey, I thought y'all were in warm sunny SD.' Well we are, but as I mentioned we were down in Point Loma which is by the water and in the evenings it gets breezy and down right chilly hence the jackets and what not. So we were enjoying ourselves walking around playing ball and come across this family:



Notice the mother with her back turned and several feet away from her daughter (who we later find out is 4 months old). Not only that, but the baby has just a short sleeve onsie on. No pants, no socks, no blankie. I couldn't believe my eyes, here was this adorable little baby off to the side of a blanket full of people and NO ONE was paying any attention to her. We stuck around a few minutes to see if this mother was ever going to take notice of her baby and when she didn't my mom picked up Kayla and said 'let's go say hi to the baby'. It was awesome, she didn't even say anything to the mother, she just started talking to the baby and this sweet baby's face totally lit up and she gave my mom and Kayla the most wonderful baby smile. After a few seconds the mother finally turned around realizing that there was complete strangers giving her daughter lovies and said something like 'oh gosh I don't realize what's going on behind me' and after seeing how bundled up Kayla was she said 'I guess maybe I should cover her up too' REALLY, YOU THINK?! So then she gets out a thin little receiving blanket, loosely places it over her and puts the carrier on the blanket with the rest of the family.


Of course by now this mother can do nothing right in my mind and I'm still bothered by how this baby seems to be an afterthought. If my mom and Kayla hadn't stepped in, who knows how long the baby would be on her own in the cold air. Things like this bothered me before I was a mommy, but now............my little girl means the world to me, I love her, I adore her, I'd go to the ends of the earth for her. To think there are mother out there who would be so tuned out to their helpless babies like this breaks my heart.

No comments: