What a looonnnnggg couple of weeks! Two weeks ago I was in San Diego saying my final goodbye to my Papa. When I drove home my mom decided to join me at the last minute and stayed with us for about a week {I'll have to catch up on photos of that time next week}. Last Thursday the kiddos and I, and Garrett {separately} drove back to San Diego for Papa's memorial {Friday the 5th}. It really was a beautiful day. The temps were perfect, the sun was shinning, and our entire extended family was there to honor Papa. Papa was a submariner during WWII and he was laid to rest with military honors. He was proud of his service and we are all proud of him.....I think he would have gotten a kick out of having the Navy honor him this day....as well as Garrett dressed in his formal uniform :) .
This guy played one of the best Taps we've ever heard.......beautiful.
Afterwards the family came together at my cousin's home and celebrated Papa's life. He lived a long and happy one and most definitely would have wanted us to enjoy some good food and each other!
And we definitely had to take a family photo. Since a few members have moved away from San Diego this was the first time in well over a decade everyone was in the same place at the same time! Of course an important member is missing {and some may be added in the future (not be me! haha)....but this is a photo I will cherish always.
Us with my dad and step-mom
....and my mom
Looking all spiffy for Papa!
As a family grows, you know it's not uncommon that everyone are only together for weddings and funerals. Sadly, this occasion was the latter. Hopefully the next will be a more joyful time. I adore my extended family {on all sides} and truly feel blessed to have them all in my life.... and in my children's life. We have gone our separate ways and are growing new families but it's a blessing to all be able to come together at certain times; pick up where we left off, remember where we came from and just have a good time. It is, I know, how Papa would want it....and hopefully as it always will be.
No comments:
Post a Comment