Tuesday, February 21, 2012

NC Museum of Natural Sciences

Have you been to a good museum lately?  You might have noticed we Carrs love a good museum!  They seem to have come SO far since our field trip days.  I have memories of blankly starring at tired and dusty exhibits as the tour guide rattled on and on.....and on.  The best part about those field trips definitely were the picnic lunches and bus rides.  Maybe it's just now that I'm older and have a better appreciation for these things, but when I tell Kayla we're going to a museum she literally jumps for joy......and I'm pretty sure I was never that excited about going to a museum {except maybe the model railroad museum}.  So anyways, I've been eyeing, via the world wide web, the NC Museum of Natural Sciences up in Raleigh for quite some time.  But it's a little over an hours drive so getting up and going takes some preparation and mental motivation.    Garrett had Monday off for the President's holiday and the museum was still open so I thought 'perfect!'  Our goal was to leave the house by 8:30am and I think we were pulling out around 8:40, so not to bad!

Our first stop was to the classrooms where they have a daily story time and meet & greet with various animal residents of the museum.  The kiddos loved it :)  



The three things they saw and touched up close were Madagascar Cockroaches, which were huge and disgusting but Kayla thought they were great {!}, a small Venus Fly Trap, which Kayla was 'to scared' to touch {go figure!}, and a rather LARGE Guinea Pig.  It all happened pretty fast so I was only able to get a quick pic of the plant :( 


What would a natural science or history museum be without a good Dinosaur exhibit?!  And I have to say this museum definitely had one of the best I've seen.     





Time for a little break to enjoy the city view!





Learning about butterflies.  The one thing I was majorly bummed about was that their Living Conservatory which houses butterflies, tropical plants & trees, and a sloth is closed on Mondays!  I guess we'll just have to go back one day soon ;)    






The button pushing is always a favorite!


Gavin ran up to this exhibit shouting DEER DEER!  He loves deer.


Afterwards we ate lunch at The Big Easy in downtown Raleigh.  I usually don't blog about places we eat at but I truly don't want to forget about this place.  It.Was.Delicious.  They serve traditional Cajun and Louisiana favorites.  Garrett had a HUGE muffuletta sandwich and I had a half and half po' boy sandwich with fried oysters and shrimp.  As a California girl we eat our oysters raw off the half self with a side of cocktail sauce that has a kick to it.  If their cooked at all it's usually baked or steamed.  But my eyes have been opened to the Southern style of quick fried oysters.  Holy smokes are they good!  It's a very light fry that just melts in your mouth, nothing heavy like fried chicken.  If you're ever in Raleigh, EAT THERE!

  

No comments: