Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Day in the Life ~ hour by hour

A while back I was reading one of the blogs I read and she had this idea of documenting an ordinary day by taking a photograph hour by hour.  I've seen the 365 day challenge and even the 30 day challenge of posting a photo each day but I just know that after about day 4 I'd be off the wagon.  So when I heard about this I thought 'hey I can do this one!'  Too often I seem to get stuck in the routine of just documenting the big stuff;  special outings and photo-worthy moments.  And while of course that's good..... I know years down the road I'd like to look back and peek in on just an average day.  The blog is tittled 'A Day in the Life' after all and what better way to document that then with an hourly photo spread!

So here are the ground rules I tried to stick to:
  • Choose a day at random
  • Live through the day as normal ~ hair/makeup and dress as like any other day
  • The house is what it is ~ no extra cleaning / picking up before a photo
  • NO staging of a photo ~ whatever is happening at the prescribed moment is what is photographed.
  • First photo is to be taken as soon as possible in the morning and every hour after that.
There are a few photos I used the timer for, but I assure you there was no 'staging' going on and it is what was happening in that moment.  Using the timer was the best, and honestly the only way I felt to capture the moment.   



Wednesday February 29, 2012 {Leap Year!}

8am
Gavin slept in, which means we ALL did!  So I had to wake him up.  He was not so thrilled with the camera/flash in his face.  {Today we were back on track with him shouting from his room at 7:06am MOMMY WAKE UP!}


9am
Dropping Kayla off at preschool.  Yes, Gavin is only half 'dressed' and still in his pajamas shirt....


10am
Time to finish getting dressed!


11am
Commissary


12 noon
Picking up Sissy from preschool.  I'm not really sure why she's giving me this look....


1pm
After a little playtime on the playground at the school, we're finally home.  The kiddos are eating lunch while I tackle the massive pile of dishes in the sink.


2pm
Ahhhhhhhh.  Naptime for Gavin and 'rest' time for Kayla!

3pm
Our highly anticipated new smart phones have been dropped off by the nice UPS guy and I'm using every ounce of willpower to not rip open the boxes before Garrett gets home!


4pm
Nap/rest time is all most over and Smokey is getting some last minute loves in.


5pm
Dinner is still defrosting {luckily Ahi defrosts quickly!} while the kiddos watch a show.



6pm
Garrett's home and can't resist plugging in the new phones!


7pm
One last game of Mario Kart before bath and bedtime for the kiddos!


8pm
Kiddos are in bed and we're trying not to be out-smarted by our new smart phones!! 


{I know the clock on the wall says 9:04 but that's because it's SUPER heavy and since Garrett was gone in November when the clocks changed......good thing it will be right in April ;) }

 I really had fun with this!  I think I'll try to make this a regular feature of the blog {maybe monthly?}.  Even though our daily routines are similar, different moments can be captured hour to hour.....  

3 comments:

grammy karen said...

What a super fun idea!!! It was like I was there with you guys. I was going to comment on the clock on the wall. Good thing you did :)

Huggs for everyone!!

grammy karen

grammy karen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Our Family said...

Comments from facebook:

Kimberly Warburton Great idea- love it!!

Kassy Vanderlaan I love it, too! That's so fun.
March 1

Molly Schloesser that was hilarious!
March 1

Karen Rakestraw Loved Gavin's wake up picture!! Super cool idea! Hugggs:)
March 1

Christie Vanderhyde LOVE this!!!!