Thursday, October 29, 2009

San Diego ~ week 1

Whew - we are all finally back home in NC and are here to stay until baby Gavin sleeps through the night.......whenever that might be! The last two months have been nonstop for us and we have the lingering colds to prove it. After pretty much taking separate vacations to San Diego (Garrett was there first and then Kayla and I followed, with about three days overlap) our days of travel are over for now.
For Kayla and I, our trip started on the 14th. As mentioned, Garrett was all ready in SD, so it was just her and I making our way to the sunny homeland. We had about an hour/15 minute drive to the airport to start off with then followed by about 7 1/2 hours air time to include a 40min layover. It was a long day. Let me just say, don't judge. I know it's easy when you see that mom on the plane with a MONSTER of a toddler and you might give her that raised eyebrows look when you catch her eye because her child has lost it. I know, I used to do it too, but never again. Kayla and I had two things working against us:

  1. Poor nutrition

  2. Sleep deprivation
Truly a disastrous combination for any young child. FAA rules these days about liquids = no ice packs = no lunch pack with fresh and healthy foods, therefore Kayla was snacking on crappy food ALL day. Partly my fault because I didn't think about just how long she was going to go on just snack foods, but it was what it was. (Our flight home I was much better prepared with ample amounts of fruit and pb&j's.) As for number two, we arrived in SD a little after 6pm (9pm Kayla's time and an hour past her regular bed time). She had not slept all day. No nap and no nod-off at bedtime. I think she just could not get comfortable or relax enough to just sleep. About half-way through our final flight something happened and I SWEAR through the corner of my eye I saw her head rotate 360 degrees! She truly was not my child and acting in ways completely foreign. So I say again, don't judge! Just because you see a kid acting out at the airport/plane, it doesn't mean that's how they really are in normal circumstances.
Moving on. Travel day behind us, our first day in SD was spent at the always awesome ZOO. We figured it would be the best way for us to help Kayla get on SD time. To be busy outside in the fresh air until naptime, and for the most part it worked I think.

Garrett's dad, Grandpa Ron joined us.


Our brief time of overlap was spent seeing as much of family as possible. My cousin Christie is about a week ahead of me.


The ever popular four generations photo.
Great Grandma Donna and my step-mom, Grammy Phyllis. Yes that would be sweat making Kayla's hair do crazy things. She had a great time seeing everybody!
More prego cousins! Amber on the end is about two weeks ahead of me and Kelly is about a month behind me. No we did not plan the outfits, we just all have good taste :) and everyone is expecting girls except of course us.
My favorite Andie in the whole wide world! Friends since high school, and yes that was 11 years ago, holy crap!
CHOO-CHOO!! No riding, just playing on it.
Arts and crafts time. We painted a pumpkin.
And here is another how old do I feel moment. This is Shannon, I started babysitting her when she was one and now she's a senior in high school and has babysat Kayla!! Her brother, Kelly, is a freshman in high school!
Kayla and Shannon's dad, Rey, playing the piano.





So that was our first week in San Diego. Crazy Busy Fun.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

i am so glad that you had a good time. and am SO glad i got to see you and kayla. i miss you guys SOOOOO much! hopefully i will make it out your way sooner than later. thanks for coming over on the whirlwind morning! LOVE YOU!

Unknown said...

so glad to hear that you had a crazy, but fun vaca surrounded by great friends and family. Julie, you look so BEAUTIFUL preggers and I love the name Gavin.

Kelli said...

Julie, I don't judge. Ever. But I used to as well. Glad you had a good trip to San Diego - hopefully our paths cross next time. I would love to see you! xo