Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls and Pumpkins

If you're a regular reader of the blog you might have picked up on the fact that Garrett is the baker in this family. I enjoy cooking and will toot my own horn and say I can put on a pretty good dinner. But not so much in the baking department. It's not that I can't bake, it's just that I don't really have the desire to invest the time it takes to bake a wonderful creation, mostly because that means I'll end up eating said creation and that's just not necessary. However, Garrett really enjoys testing his hand in this department, whether it's chocolate chip cookies, bread, scratch waffles and pancakes....really, like I'm going to stop him, it's always turns out delicious and I figure the calories don't really count because I didn't bake them...right. So anyways, his latest attempt was cinnamon rolls. Kayla got in on the action....and well....
sugar overload YUM!!!
We've decided that these cinnamon rolls are now going to be a part of our Christmas morning family tradition. Seriously, can you imagine Christmas morning without these and a hot cup of cocoa or coffee?!?
Later in the morning we headed out to our local farm to enjoy the traditional October festivities of hayrides and pumpkin picking.





We had a great time.
Since we got back from our week on the road, watching Garrett graduate Ranger School and taking our time getting home, it's been a little crazy here. There was no rest for the weary as Garrett went immediately back to a demanding work schedule. When he asked for leave time they said 'sure you can have next week off'. Well that left us scrambling because we thought we would have a little more time and warning to plan a trip home to SD. As a result of the ridiculously expensive last minute airfare, Garrett left without Kayla and I on Saturday. We'll be joining him on Wednesday, he'll come back next Sunday, and Kayla and I will stay on in SD for a total of two weeks. It kind of stinks because we'll only overlap for three full days and are basically taking separate vacations home, but we're just thankful to be able to go home at all. All that to say it's doubtful I'll be updating the blog while in SD. So don't think I dropped the blogging ball again and be sure to check back next month!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

favorite line of this post "mostly because that means I'll end up eating said creation and that's just not necessary."
made me laugh out loud.
i can't WAIT to see you! i am glad that you are coming!

Unknown said...

It was great to talk to you the other night and I am so happy that you guys are getting a chance to go home and relax with family. BUT, when you get back do you mind sending me that seemingly delicious cinnamon roll recipe:) I could nearly smell the tastiness as I scrolled through the pics.

TTYS

Angela Henderson said...

How fun and yummy> You guys always do fun things!