Thursday, September 25, 2014

Catching Up ~ Spring Soccer

There was a time, back in the Spring, when we were that soccer family.  Practices 2-3x a week and 2 games on Saturdays.  I cringed at the thought of it.  I do not love being that soccer family.  But the kiddos really.wanted.to.play.  Especially Gavin as it was his first season he was old enough.  And so, we felt it was our parental obligation to give it a go for another season.  This was Kayla's 4th season donning the cleats.

It started out well enough.  The kiddos loved going to practice.   



And then there were the games ....

Gavin .... well .. overall he had fun.  It always started out well with a team huddle

a few waves to mom and dad... 

Lot's of thumbs uping ...
Eye on the ball for kick off ...
... and then ... yeah ... there would be this ...

and some of this ... whatever that is ...
and LOADS of this ...
some weird faces....
every now and then he would get to throw the ball in ... which he loved...

but mostly ... this pretty much sums up Gavin's interest level in soccer ...
until, of course, the after game treats...

and end of season medal ...
because, you know, everyone gets a medal these days!


I'll admit.  It was one of the most emotionally painful experiences we've had to sit through as parents!  I'm thankful Gavin had the opportunity to play ... but game after game, watching kids run circles around him while he could care less was rough.  He's decided he doesn't want to play soccer again and wants to try Tball next spring.  We have high hopes for that experience!  I think sitting on the bench, socializing while waiting his turn, and then hitting a ball, running the bases ... it might just be perfect for him.  Until then we'll continue swimming .... that's a sport we all definitely enjoy!

Kayla's games were a bit better.  She definitely was engaged and had her head in the game...
She brushed off her falls like a pro ...
And she loved playing goalie most of all!

And you know she got a medal too!



















But I think this will be her last season as well.  She's expressed a lot of interest in trying tennis, which we we're gonna do in the spring.... 

1 comment:

grammy karen said...

I think it's great to give them the experience of lots of sports. They will find their bliss and love it. You will too!

Great pictures for good memories.

Hugs,
grammy karen