Hello four! Four is such a great age. I love four. To me, four means we are officially out of baby/toddler hood and embracing 'big kid' status! As bittersweet as it is to watch my kiddos grow older ..... I'll be honest I welcome it with open arms! We loved our babies with our whole heart .... but these are the days we dreamed about before becoming parents. To explore ... adventure with our minis .... experience the world through fresh innocent eyes. Movie nights. Game nights. To share jokes and funny stories and LAUGH together! Yes. These are the days I have looked so forward to. Of course there are still some rough patches. Four brings on a new level of 'sass' and back-talk and all around boundary pushing. But thankfully, this is not my first rodeo ;) .
The morning of his birthday, Gavin woke up to our tradition of streamers, a party hat, the official bday cupcake plate {used for all meals on their special day}, and the felt happy birthday banner. I have visions of this routine continuing until the day they move out. I can all ready hear their teenage voices in my head saying something like 'mooooooommmm! were to old for this! But secretly still loving it on the inside ;)'
During the day Gavin helped me make and decorate his cupcakes.
~please excuse the focus malfunction. my camera seemed to have a focus freak out when i moved in closer~
We soooooooo very rarely eat food with dyes in it .... but when Superman turns FOUR blue cupcakes just seemed like the right choice!


Rather than a birthday party this year {we plan on having one for the big 5 next year} we decided an afternoon out at Medieval Times was a good fit. The kiddos have role played Princess and Brave Knight for quite some time now and when we make up stories at bed time it usually involves a dragon and a knight and a princess. And if you remember these were their halloween costumes. Medieval Times is only about 25 minutes away, so naturally this seemed like the right place for us to be this year.
If you've been to one of these shows you'll know that for the meal they literally serve you a half a chicken a rib an other stuff. But our Gavin ..... well .... when he grows up and decides to be a vegetarian .... we would not be the least bit surprised! He loves fish/seafood, but most other animal proteins he could live without and be perfectly happy. So we definitely requested him the vegetarian plate and it was pretty funny to see him being the only one in our section to munch on carrots/celery/pita and hummus. HA!
As part of his birthday celebration they announced A Very Happy Birthday to Sir Knight Gavin .... of course I just missed that on video....
We were in the Blue Knight cheering section.
Kayla was over the moon when our Knight threw her a flower :)
Go Blue!!!!
So.Much.Fun. We all really enjoyed it! They were super into cheering for our Knight and booing the 'bad guy'. A birthday to remember, for sure.

















1 comment:
Comments from facebook:
Kassy Vanderlaan: Awesome! My little veggie-in-training, happy birthday Gavin. Time has gone by seriously fast. It seems like yesterday I was watching you navigate your new world of two....with a broken finger! Lol!
Julie Carr: Ahh hahaha, the broken finger! What a crazy time that was! I was totally thinking of you the whole time I was writing that, lol. Good thing we're no strangers to vegetarian dinner night, that's his favorite night!
Kassy Vanderlaan: Every time I'm up with Grant in the night I seriously think to myself, "at least my finger isn't in a splint!" Haha!! Super miss you guys!
Post a Comment