Friday, September 7, 2012

Stay-cation in Tucson

If you know us....you know we love to travel.  We love to get out there and explore, see new sights, and introduce our kiddos to an 'adventurous spirit'.  But sometimes you just need a stay-cation were you can relax and have some good family time!  We are a part of the Marriott rewards program and every few years we cash in those points.  Our last Marriott weekend was in Williamsburg, VA before Gavin was born and we were busy busy with the fun activities around the town.  Now, out here, Tucson is about 1.5 hours away and the Marriott has a super fantastic resort and spa in the outer hills.  With Labor Day weekend approaching we booked a last minute room with our accumulated points!  We would have preferred a two-room suite so the kiddos could nap comfortably but the points were only redeemable for the average studio style hotel room.  NOT ideal but we figured, 'hey they want to give us a room so we'll just make it work for 2 days/nights!'  I didn't take any photos of the property so the first three here are from their facebook page :)     




We spent the majority of our time out there in that fantastic pool, lazy river, and water slide so I don't have any action photos of that.  But it was some FUN times and we all came back with a great tan!

We decided to make one morning special with a room service breakfast.....and the other morning we were recovering from the crazy bill and whipped out the family-size griddle we stuffed into our suitcase!!  HA!  These are the good memories people----cooking your own breakfast in your 5-star hotel room!   



A little smoothie break from all that swimming!



Gavin and I stayed in the pool while Garrett and Kayla hit the driving range.  It was a first time for her and other than the 100 degree heat, she loved it!


One evening we hung out and had dinner on their huge outdoor patio which boasted breathtaking views, large comfy chairs, and fire pits {I know fire pits in the desert...during the summer...crazy.  But it actually cooled down in the evening and...well....we'll get to those fire pits more in a minute.}   



Our friends, Chris and Jacob, who we knew in NC and just happen to be in the same class as Garrett right now here in AZ also were enjoying the resort this weekend!



Ahhhhh the fire pits.  After dinner we ordered all the makings for a smores dessert!





yum. yum.


Our solutions to the one room situation.  A twin air mattress for Kayla and the pack 'n play for Gavin.  Not photoed was the queen air mattress propped up next to our bed to give the kiddos a little privacy during nap time!


Room service breakfast on the balcony.  I guess when you get a free room that includes a splendid view of the front entrance and valet :\


A great GREAT weekend!  When it comes to routine and schedules {particularly in the sleep department} our kiddos are pretty structured.  {I have been called the sleep nazi before...which I am super OK with!..}  But this was a special family fun weekend where kiddos stayed up late and mom and dad kicked back and let some things go.  On our last day I enjoyed the spa; and Garrett a full round of golf! 

1 comment:

grammy karen said...

Wow!!! What a fun time you guys had!! I'll bet the smores were super tasty and the pool very cool!

grammy karen