On Wednesday my dad and I took the kiddos to Balboa Park. I heart Balboa Park. And I'm thrilled that Kayla and Gavin are getting old enough to enjoy it as much as I do! It's San Diego's museum hub...there's 15! Some not so age appropriate for my little ones, but many are great for their age and even geared towards them. Last November we spent the day at the Natural History and Model Railroad museums. So this trip we wanted to visit the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center. Ohhh....I could go on and on about this place; so many childhood school field trips were spent here! It's packed with hands on exhibits that engage little minds. It's an awesome spot for the entire family because it has the typical 'children's museum' type exhibits for preschoolers and area's for the older school-age child. The Center also has a huge IMAX dome theater!
Aaaanywayyyyys. Despite the crazy summer day camp crowds, we had a blast!
I remember this floating ball exhibit from when I was a kiddo here! And it was one of my favorites too. Gavin was just engrossed by it! I had to peel him away and convince him there were other things to look at :)
We spent a lot of time in this room!
It was really interesting to watch Gavin in this area. Where most of the kids there {Kayla included} would be running around from spot to spot in a somewhat unfocused manner...Gavin would be completely consumed in his task at hand and be content in just sitting there observing the ball go up and back down the tube or spinning the wheel and watch the food being taken away on the conveyor belt...
One of their traveling exhibits was the Grossology room: The {impolite} science of the human body.
This room was gross! And hilarious all at the same time! We learned all about snot, burps, farts, body odor, the digestive system....Kayla all most cried when she put her little nose up to the smell machine and took a whiff of the VERY accurate various {bad!} body odors. That was not her favorite part......but my dad and I thought it was pretty funny ;)
One last spin of the marble in the giant funnel before a little break for lunch...
Did I say lunch break? I meant lunch and ice cream break!! Gavin kept saying MMMMmmmm after every bite!
Next up was a ride on the historic Miniature Railroad! Oh man, I have been SOOOO looking forward to taking the kiddos on this. Not only do I remember riding on this but so do my parents when they were little ones! Nothing has changed about it over the years. Nothing. When we walked up to the station it was pulling away and Gavin all most nearly had a panic attack thinking he'd missed his chance! He has a little passion for trains...and cars...and planes. I was quickly able to convince him that the train was coming right back and we first needed to buy a ticket :)
Papa Derwin. He's pretty awesome. Definitely the only grandpa there who stuffed himself in that miniature train to take a ride with his grandkiddos!
Our last stop before the parking lot was the carousel. Another historical goldmine! Constructed in 1910 it's all most entirely in its original state. Complete with the music, murals, and brass ring game. It whirls around at a fast pace for five whole minutes. The kids loved every second.
No comments:
Post a Comment