Thursday, July 1, 2010

June

Yikes. It's been a while. So I think I've come to a realization.  June is a bummer month out here.  I was looking back at my posts from last June, all two of them, and thought it was kind of funny that this June is shaping up to be as about event less as last June.  I'm thinking it has something to do with the fact that by June around here the high heat (nearly triple digits) and humidity is in full swing and I pretty much swear off ever leaving my AC home again!  Then, by the end of the month, we all have cabin fever and are in desperate need of spreading our wings.  So July now looks to be a pretty busy month for us.  I actually had to take a pen to my calendar to keep track of all the things going on :).

On another note; I've been thinking about my blog a lot lately.  I recently had a hardcover book made for all my 2008 posts.  It's super simple and uncreative, but I love that I'm able to hold it in my hands and flip through precious memories.  Now I'm working with my dearest friend, Andrea, who just happens to be a talented graphic designer, on creating a fantastic 2009 blog book.  And because of this, like I said, I've been thinking about my blog.  Although my objective has always been to journal our daily life as a family, Ive always filtered through my prospective posts with the thought 'is this to mundane or are the readers going to find it entertaining.'  Often times I opt to not post something because I believe it will be thought of as 'boring'.  Of course I think my kids are the cutest, smartest, most entertaining kids in the WORLD and could watch a 20 minute video of them doing absolutely nothing, but I know no one else really wants to see that.  That said; because of these books being made I understand more clearly now that the blog is ultimately for us, my family of four.  It brings me joy knowing that friends and family around world can take a peak at what's going on with us from time to time, but from now on my focus for this blog will be to preserve these memories of our family as the days unfold, mundane or not.  Twenty, Thirty, Fifty years from now I know without a doubt we will love and cherish the opportunity to look back and see photos and read about a particular day in 2010, 11, 12, etc. 

So here we go.  The other day I was in the kitchen doing the dishes and I asked Kayla to clean up the living room because I was going to vacuum.  After a couple of minutes she comes running in and proudly announces she had finished.  I round the corner to take a look and find that her idea of 'cleaning up' so I could vacuum was to simply take everything off the floor and pile onto the couches, table, and chair....even though we do have a large toy box in the corner.  She cracks me up!


Even though we didn't really 'do' anything this last month we did pass a couple big noteworthy milestones.  First, I converted Kayla's crib to a toddler daybed.  I know I know...she's almost three and we're just now getting around to that....but in all fairness, she loved her crib, hadn't tried climbing out since she FELL out last summer, and since I'm on solo night duty during Garrett's deployment I was really not wanting to even think about dealing with her possible night wandering habits while Gavin was/is still not sleeping through the night.  But I realized it's not fair to her to hold her back any longer than necessary so I just upped and did it one day.  She LOVES her big girl bed!  And crazy enough, she has not gotten out of that bed once!!  She naps like usual and even in the morning she waits in bed for me to come get her.  It's crazy, it's like the thought hasn't even occurred to her to test the freedom of a big girl bed.  Love it while it last!


Yes, she really sleeps with all these animals :)


The second milestone was Gavin's first feeding of rice cereal!  He wasn't quite sure what to expect,


but he was excited!


And loved what made it into his mouth! 


 Last random story for the day: I was upstairs putting Gavin to bed, Kayla was downstairs.  She usually watches a show and knows to stay quiet while I'm getting Gavin off to bed.  But this particular night she was making all kinds of noise and I was getting a little angry.  I came downstairs ready to give her the what for when I saw this:


She was making dinner,


for her baby,


her very hungry baby!


How can you be mad at that!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

love that she was making dinner.
so cute.

grammy karen said...

I cherish every word of your blog...great idea about the book to look back on. Gavin and Kayla are the most precious angels any Grandma could ask for!!
Love you,
Grammy Karen