Friday, August 6, 2010

Garrett's Homecoming :)

Well the last week has been quite the week!  And I'm going to have to blog a little out of order.  On the 28th Kayla turned three years old but before I get to that I think I have to post Garrett's homecoming update :).  He was supposed to arrive on base at around 5am Saturday morning and after going to the company area for several hours, make it through our door sometime mid-morning.  BUT of course there was delay after delay and he eventually landed around 1am SUNDAY morning and arrived home at 7:30am!  Friday afternoon Kayla and I made a big poster to hang outside for daddy.  She was super excited about this because she was finally realizing her daddy would be home very soon. 





The Big Moment!  We heard the garage door open!  I grabbed my camera and followed Kayla to the door.  (sorry the quality of the video is so poor, the garage was dark so you can't really see anything, but you can hear it all :) 






The past six days have been a blur.  Garrett went back to work on Tuesday, boo I know, but we have two weeks of leave coming up soon.  Kayla has been glued to his side every minute he's home and Gavin likes to just stare at him with big eyes.  We are all adjusting.  With Haiti and this deployment to Afghanistan Garrett has been gone five out of the last seven months.  The seven months of little Gavin's life so far and both deployments were very sudden and unexpected.  There's always that blissful honeymoon period after a reunion, but then as things begin to settle down there is a time of hard adjusting for everyone in the family, even the cat.  I think sometimes there is this assumption from the civilian world that when dad (or mom) comes home everything falls back into place and each in their own role and all is right.  But that's just not the way it works.  The parent left home has been two parents in one, the sole decision maker for the family, the disciplinarian, the one that answers the every call of the children, day and night.  It is HARD to stop being that parent and step aside for the other.  I'm just being honest here.  The parent that's been gone has been living a very independent life and really has to transition back into thinking 'we' not 'I' and find their groove back into that family that's been rolling along without them and isn't exactly how they left it.  And of course as with any deployment to a combat zone, short or long, baggage is brought home that needs to be properly dealt with.  

anyways.........     God is good, always providing and merciful.  I am SO thankful my husband is home safe and sound!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

totally crying. totally totally crying! i am so glad that garrett is home safe and sound! i can't imagine how hard it would be to adjust and re-adjust. love ya all can't wait to see ya!

Unknown said...

kleenex in hand and so happy for your reunion. I love how honest you are about the reality of it. I love you guys and are wishing you the best. Happy belated Birthday Kayla! She is an absolute doll with those big blues!